LSG is seeking a Director to join our rapidly growing team. The candidate will serve as a senior project manager and strategist for new and existing client accounts.
Successful candidates should possess a strong background in at least one of the following: (a) corporate public affairs and communications; (b) political affairs and issue advocacy; (c) corporate campaign/coalition management; or (d) corporate reputation and brand management.
This position is based in Houston, Texas.
- Oversee strategy and execution of integrated communications and public affairs projects and campaigns across multiple industries, with a focus on LSG’s exciting and growing business footprint in Houston and more broadly in the state of Texas.
- Maintain an active understanding of ongoing LSG clients and campaigns across the firm’s practice areas to be able to offer proactive, informed strategic counsel and guidance on a variety of public affairs, advocacy, communications, and community engagement opportunities.
- Proven ability to communicate and translate trends into actionable ideas and recommendations for clients.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and expertise on relevant political and advocacy issues in Congress, the White House, regulatory agencies, state legislatures.
- Design and write thoughtful plans that include forward-thinking, innovative, public affairs strategies to ensure the work product is relevant, inspiring, and impactful.
- Manage and counsel client teams, including senior executives and decision-makers.
- Lead and manage LSG employees working on client accounts, setting and establishing goals and holding team members accountable to objectives. (Position may be responsible for direct reports, including professional development, mentoring, skills-building, and twice-annual review processes.)
- Oversee client budgets, subcontractors and administration; be accountable for account profitability and margin preservation/growth.
- Manage multi-state campaigns, including LSG public affairs, advocacy, and communications subcontractors and teams. This may include multiple state-based advocacy, communications, or political/government affairs operatives.
- Lead the development of various communications materials, including all public-facing documents – messaging materials, talking points, and press materials such as media advisories, press releases, corporate statements, op-eds/LTEs, social media content, ad copy, etc.
- Brief and staff clients for in-person events, meetings, and media engagements.
- Deliver and manage client reporting, including progress-to-date and key metrics. Identify opportunities for adjustments in tactics/strategy on projects for clients.
New Business Development & Growth
- Support and lead business development process, including initial outreach, idea generation, proposal writing, oversight of design and production, pitching, and execution of contract
- Support new business and marketing efforts by networking and growing relationships including attending events, receptions, and conferences/industry events.
- Identify, plan, and write proposals for existing clients to maintain and extend existing contracts and/or expand LSG’s offerings.
- Identify talent gaps and needs, partnering with team to recruit and manage new staff as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to show significant applicable, real-world experience (at least 7-10 years), specifically working in corporate public affairs and communications, political affairs and issues advocacy, corporate campaign/coalition management, or corporate reputation and brand management.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including attention to detail, clarity, speed, and accuracy, as well as creative abilities to draft and develop fresh, original content.
Desired Skills & Expertise
- Demonstrated ability to operate as a self-starter and work independently, achieving assigned responsibilities on or ahead of deadlines, while delivering the highest-quality work product.
- A self-starter who brings creative energy to the workplace and thrives in a team environment. While self-accountability is essential, so is collaboration and team building. This role will work day-to-day with diverse members of LSG’s team at all levels.
- Ability to operate in emergency or crisis situations, with an innate ability to multi-task effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible and adaptable working across multiple priorities with external clients and internal teams.
This position will be based in our Houston office. LSG is operating in a hybrid work environment, with all staff working at least two days in the office every week (or more, if needed, by your team or LSG leadership). You may be expected to travel for client-work.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Director, Houston” as subject line.
We work with corporations, trade associations, and nonprofits to change hearts and minds, move public opinion, and help brands connect to the public conscience in a rapidly changing environment. Our experts in brand building, corporate reputation management, and public affairs help solve the most complex communications challenges. With practices in strategic insights, stakeholder engagement, public relations, and community marketing, we are leaders in engaging diverse audiences in the U.S. and around the world to drive results and deliver impact. Founded in 2008, LSG is headquartered in Washington, DC and has offices in Boston, Denver, Houston, and New York.
LSG is committed to attracting and hiring a diverse staff, one that honors employees’ experience, perspectives, and unique identity. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.