Principal, Public Affairs
LSG is seeking a Principal to join our rapidly growing team.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record leading external public affairs programs, including working with senior-level leaders to help shape strategies and manage issue campaigns. Candidates should have a strong understanding of the U.S. political and legislative landscape at the federal, state and local level, as well as good understanding of earned and paid media.
Successful candidates will be ambitious, poised, a team player, and possess excellent project management and communications skills. S/he will be a fast learner, clear communicator and demonstrate excellent judgment working with nationwide teams, vendors, partners, and clients.
This role is based in Washington, DC.
- Design and oversee federal strategic initiatives, state/local campaigns, grassroots, and communications campaigns for corporations, trades, coalitions and non-profits.
- Serve as primary client contact responsible for strategic counsel, goal-setting, management of deliverables, campaign budget, and deadlines
- Nurture and grow relationships with clients and key decision makers, proactively identifying and presenting opportunities and ideas for program improvement and growth
- Hire and manage LSG’s state field and communication teams, which may include state-based political/government affairs operatives or traditional field organizers
- Draft and edit key communications materials in support of campaign goals; Train advocates and spokespeople
- Support and coach team members – promoting a collaborative, inclusive and inspiring work environment.
- Serve as a key senior member and leader of the team, contributing to ongoing business development, including developing personal network
- Drive new business development and pitch process in coordination with Partners, from initial outreach to strategy and plan development to presentation
- Build relationships and position firm as a strategic partner with clients, colleagues and relevant external audiences.
- Lead and manage the development of new business proposals and presentations.
- Represent LSG at external events and receptions.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years related professional experience
- Agency, Campaign, or Hill experience
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including attention to grammatical detail, clarity, speed, and accuracy, as well as creative abilities to draft and develop fresh, original content
Desired Skills & Expertise
- Strong writer and experience drafting and editing field communications materials including messaging, talking points, and earned media pieces.
- Experience managing high-impact client programs, cross-functional teams, and integrated campaigns
- Strong ability to manage competing priorities, and unwavering commitment to timelines and budget.
- Strong people-management and influencing skills
- Proactive problem-solver
- Entrepreneurial spirit with intellectual curiosity
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to email@example.com Please include “Principal” as subject line.
LSG is an impact agency that partners with clients to grow, evolve, and protect their brands and reputations. We develop integrated communications campaigns to amplify, measure, and harness the voices of people and communities to create meaningful impact. We work with corporations, trade associations, and nonprofits to change hearts and minds, move public opinion, and help brands connect to the public conscience in a rapidly changing environment. Our experts in brand building, corporate reputation management, and public affairs help solve the most complex communications challenges. With practices in strategic insights, stakeholder engagement, public relations, and community marketing, we are leaders in engaging diverse audiences in the U.S. and around the world to drive results and deliver impact. Founded in 2008, LSG is headquartered in Washington, DC and has offices in Boston, Denver, Houston, and New York.
LSG is committed to attracting and hiring a diverse staff, one that honors employees’ experience, perspectives, and unique identity. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.